‘Stop, Look, Listen’ are essential - take time to look around, speak with the farmer and understand the current ‘What, Why & How’ for this flock.
Significant evidence supports the importance of the timely & effective treatment of clinical cases. However, preventing cases occurring in the first place is the ultimate aim.
Coaching around all areas of the Five Point Plan gives structure & ensures careful application of Plan Prevent Protect principles
Suggestions for getting on farm & undertaking vet visit -
- Incorporate into TB visit or within legal prescribing visit.
- Encourage farmers to access Animal Health & Welfare Pathway or Sustainable Farming Schemes to fund flock health reviews.
- Have a practice ‘Lameness Amnesty’ or a ‘HealthyFeet week’.
- Train receptionists to book in HealthyFeet vet visits.
- Encourage farmer peer support by sharing photos & top tips via WhatsApp groups.