Flock Health Clubs are being established across the country by sheep vets. These vet-facilitated sheep farmer business groups offer many benefits:
- Improved relationship between the vet and their sheep farmers
- Greater involvement of the vet with those flocks
- Farmers receive cost-effective veterinary advice
- Monthly club subscriptions provide a steady income
There’s no need to run a Flock Health Club alone. There’s no need to spend hours preparing to run a Flock Health Club meeting.
Our sheep vets at Flock Health Ltd are here to help!
Resources for Vets to use at their Flock Health Clubs
We help sheep vets prepare to run an effective meeting with their farmers in significantly less time by:
- Producing finished presentations that explain best practice to farmers
- Briefing vets on how to prepare for the meeting and deliver the material
Meeting Packs available now:
- Introducing farmers to the concept of a Flock Health Club
- Getting lambs to grow - #grass-growth, #worm-control
- Can you afford to have lame sheep? – Causes, Control and Costs of lameness
- Are your rams up to the job? - #getting-ready-for-tupping
- Coccidiosis - Risk Assessment and Targeted Control
- Reducing Lamb Losses - #every-lamb-counts
- Getting lambs off to the best start - Essentials of a six-week handling event
- Lambing Time - focus on colostrum quality & watery mouth prevention
- Lambing Success - responsible use of antibiotics at lambing time - You can access this webinar free of charge with many thanks to AHDB Beef & Lamb.
- Protect your flock - Effective use of vaccines - You can access this webinar free of charge with many thanks to AHDB Beef & Lamb.
To access the AHDB supported meeting resources then please contact them at email@example.com
To find out more about these meeting resources, all available on a pay as you go basis, and order a pack, please CLICK HERE.
To watch one of the meeting briefings on the WVA website, please CLICK HERE
Flock Health CPD Events for Vets
We help sheep vets stay abreast of best practice in flock health management, and equip them to run their Flock Health Clubs by:
- Summarising the latest research on topical issues e.g. antimicrobial usage
- Sharing practical tips on how to run a cost-effective club
Technical Skills workshops 2018
Thank you to everyone who contributed to our Technical Skills Workshops around the country this summer – they were well attended and we have been delighted with all the positive feedback.
On the #VaccinesWork theme, we talked through the barriers to vaccination uptake as well as farmer myths and how to tackle them. Delegates took home fridge temperature sensors, memory sticks and lots of ideas for interactive Flock Health Club meetings. Many thanks to Project Lamb and particularly Steph Small, Karen Ingleby & Bridget Girvan from MSD Animal Health.
On the sheep scab theme, we shared lots of ideas including all the opportunities there are for using the sheep scab ELISA test for bought-in sheep, as well as within routine flock health planning. Particular thanks are due to Rachel Mallet from Bimeda and Rebecca Mearns from Biobest for their involvement.
Many thanks for their contribution to the CPD events are also due to Phoebe McCarter & Rebecca Vallis from NADIS, Kythe MacKenzie & Katherine Timms from Ceva, Douglas Palmer and Matt Swanborough from Norbrook, and Ally Anderson & Ben Hurst from Zoetis.
If you would like to hear of future CPD events and new meeting resources please CLICK HERE and take two minutes to let us know.
If you have any other queries about how Flock Health Ltd can support you in engaging with your sheep farmers (including running a Flock Health Club) then please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Testimonials about Flock Health Clubs -
"Just wanted to say having locumed round the country, the penetration of Flock Health Clubs is massive! Everyone has heard of it and most vets seemed to be signed up and using it. Credit to you guys!" Email from Jenny Hull, veterinary surgeon & BCVA Board member
“I’m amazed at how much we have learnt tonight. I had no idea there was so much that I didn’t know” Shropshire sheep farmer
"When I attended my first Flock Health CPD event a year ago I thought we would never get Yorkshire farmers to pay to be part of a Flock Health Club but I’ve been proved wrong – we have been amazed at how popular our Flock Health Club is” Neil Roberts, Dalehead Veterinary Group, Settle
“The best thing from our Flock Health Club has been to see sheep farmers working together comparing their basic flock data and highlighting areas for improvement” Will Barker, Castle Veterinary Surgeons
“We’ve not had this many farmers to a dairy meeting before!” Charlie Lambert, LLM Farm Vets
“The enthusiasm of our sheep clients for a Flock Health Club was really inspiring to see. At the end of the year the members were unanimous in their wish to keep the group going” Dan Stevenson, LLM Farm Vets
Articles relating to the concept and implementation of Flock Health Clubs in veterinary and farming media -
- Article in 'The Veterinary Record' 176 June 2015 pp 644-647.
- Article in 'Sheep Farmer' Aug/Sept 2015 pp 30-31.
- Article in 'Veterinary Practice' October 2015 page 36.
- BELLET, C., WOODNUTT, J., GREEN, L. E. and KALER, J., 2015. Preventative services offered by veterinarians on sheep farms in England and Wales: Opinions and drivers for proactive flock health planning: Prev Vet Med Prev Vet Med. 122(4), 381-8
- KALER J and GREEN LE, 2013. Sheep farmer opinions on the current and future role of veterinarians in flock health management on sheep farms: a qualitative study. Preventive veterinary medicine. 112(3-4), 370-7
With thanks to these organisations for their support of the 2016 and 2017 events: