Technical Skills workshops 2018 - click here to book & take advantage of the early bird rate (up to 26th May)
Thurs 14th June - NFU Agriculture House, Stoneleigh Park, CV8 2TZ
Weds 20th June - Rheged Centre, Penrith, CA11 0DQ
Tues 26th June - Best Western Tiverton Hotel, Tiverton, EX16 4DB
Tues 17th July - Maesmawr Hall Hotel, Caersws, Newtown, SY17 5SF
These technical skills workshops are aimed at both vets that are already running clubs and those that are yet to set one up with plenty of practical ideas for proactive engagement with sheep farmer clients.
The sessions will consider how to maximise vet value on sheep farms with investment in prevention over treatment. Particular consideration will be given to exploring optimum vaccination, responsible medication and all the opportunities associated with ensuring successful scab control. The workshops will consider both the practical elements of how to facilitate successful farmer meetings as well as suitable content.
Technical Skills Workshops start with lunch at 12 noon and run until 4:30 pm:
The Benefits of Flock Health Clubs
Flock Health Clubs are being established across the country by sheep vets. These vet-facilitated sheep farmer business groups offer many benefits:
- Improved relationship between the vet and their sheep farmers
- Greater involvement of the vet with those flocks
- Farmers receive cost-effective veterinary advice
- Monthly club subscriptions provide a steady income
There’s no need to run a Flock Health Club alone. There’s no need to spend hours preparing to run a Flock Health Club meeting.
Our sheep vets at Flock Health Ltd are here to help!
Resources for Vets to use at their Flock Health Clubs
We help sheep vets prepare to run an effective meeting with their farmers in significantly less time by:
- Producing finished presentations that explain best practice to farmers
- Briefing vets on how to prepare for the meeting and deliver the material
Meeting Packs available now:
- Getting lambs to grow - #grass-growth, #worm-control
- Can you afford to have lame sheep? – Causes, Control and Costs of lameness
- Are your rams up to the job? - #getting-ready-for-tupping
- Introducing farmers to the concept of a Flock Health Club
- Coccidiosis - Risk Assessment and Targeted Control
- Reducing Lamb Losses - #every-lamb-counts
- Getting lambs off to the best start - Essentials of a six-week handling event
- Lambing Time - focus on colostrum quality & watery mouth prevention
- Lambing Success - responsible use of antibiotics at lambing time - You can access this webinar free of charge with many thanks to AHDB Beef & Lamb. To access all the meeting resources you require contact them at email@example.com
To find out more about these meeting resources, all available on a pay as you go basis, and order a pack, please CLICK HERE.
To watch one of the meeting briefings on the WVA website, please CLICK HERE
Flock Health CPD Events for Vets
We help sheep vets stay abreast of best practice in flock health management, and equip them to run their Flock Health Clubs by:
- Summarising the latest research on topical issues e.g. antimicrobial usage
- Sharing practical tips on how to run a cost-effective club
The recent series of CPD afternoons entitled 'Invigorate your Flock Health Club' were well received by the vets who attended.
If you would like to hear of future CPD events and new meeting resources please CLICK HERE and take two minutes to let us know.
If you have any other queries about how Flock Health Ltd can support you in engaging with your sheep farmers (including running a Flock Health Club) then please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Testimonials about Flock Health Clubs -
"Just wanted to say having locumed round the country, the penetration of Flock Health Clubs is massive! Everyone has heard of it and most vets seemed to be signed up and using it. Credit to you guys!" Email from Jenny Hull, veterinary surgeon & BCVA Board member
“I’m amazed at how much we have learnt tonight. I had no idea there was so much that I didn’t know” Shropshire sheep farmer
"When I attended my first Flock Health CPD event a year ago I thought we would never get Yorkshire farmers to pay to be part of a Flock Health Club but I’ve been proved wrong – we have been amazed at how popular our Flock Health Club is” Neil Roberts, Dalehead Veterinary Group, Settle
“The best thing from our Flock Health Club has been to see sheep farmers working together comparing their basic flock data and highlighting areas for improvement” Will Barker, Castle Veterinary Surgeons
“We’ve not had this many farmers to a dairy meeting before!” Charlie Lambert, LLM Farm Vets
“The enthusiasm of our sheep clients for a Flock Health Club was really inspiring to see. At the end of the year the members were unanimous in their wish to keep the group going” Dan Stevenson, LLM Farm Vets
Articles relating to the concept and implementation of Flock Health Clubs in veterinary and farming media -
- Article in 'The Veterinary Record' 176 June 2015 pp 644-647.
- Article in 'Sheep Farmer' Aug/Sept 2015 pp 30-31.
- Article in 'Veterinary Practice' October 2015 page 36.
- BELLET, C., WOODNUTT, J., GREEN, L. E. and KALER, J., 2015. Preventative services offered by veterinarians on sheep farms in England and Wales: Opinions and drivers for proactive flock health planning: Prev Vet Med Prev Vet Med. 122(4), 381-8
- KALER J and GREEN LE, 2013. Sheep farmer opinions on the current and future role of veterinarians in flock health management on sheep farms: a qualitative study. Preventive veterinary medicine. 112(3-4), 370-7
With thanks to these organisations for their support of the 2016 and 2017 events: